Subject: devel-digest V2 #202
From: [email-masked] (devel-digest)
To: [email-masked]

devel-digest           Sunday, June 20 1999           Volume 02 : Number 202

In this issue:

    Re: Unable to access Serial Interface
    clock cycle counter
    Back to the floating point library optimisations...

See the end of this digest for information about devel-digest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 1999 07:00:00 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Philipp Grau)
Subject: Re: Unable to access Serial Interface

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:14:11 -0700, Steven Ng wrote:
>I have been trying to configure my serial interface /dev/cua0 using
>setserial.  setserial statserial both return operation not supported by
>device.  I also attempted to do this to dev/cua1-3 also.  Is there something
>I need to do to get the serial interface up and running before I can access
>it with setserial, or do I have a potential hardware problem?

Try:

insmod serial

It loos like you are missing serial support in the kernel,
so load the apropiate module.

\bye
Philipp

- -- 
 Philipp Grau               | Freie Universitaet Berlin 
 [email-masked]  | Zentraleinrichtung fuer Datenverarbeitung
                            |
    We had joy, we had fun, | we had Pacman on the sun...      

- ---
This message processed by the Netwinder.Org news2mail gateway.

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 1999 08:37:34 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Jim Tittsler)
Subject: clock cycle counter

Back in September, Pat Bierne suggested using the "word wide counter at
0xe1000304" as a "cycle counter" in the NetWinder.

A bit of experimentation suggests that this is a down-counter that is
reloaded with 0x98F63, so the number of "useful bits" is well under a word.
Also life would be a bit nicer if this were a power of 2 so that time
differences across the timer wrap around were easily calculated.  I've also
lost track of which counters are shaken and which are stirred, and the note
at ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/pub/netwinder/docs/NW/pbeirne/memory_map.htm#PCI
doesn't help.

Does this timer have another function keeping me from changing the reload
value?

Is this timer based on a "shaken" clock in recent revisions?

Is there a better timer running at 66MHz available?  Is there a timer that
counts the 7MHz (or is it 14MHz) (unshaken?) clock somewhere?

- ---
This message processed by the Netwinder.Org news2mail gateway.

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 1999 15:07:42 GMT
From: "Andrew Coles" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Back to the floating point library optimisations...

OK, I've been looking at the floating point stuff that people have
provided, plus the egcs float library.

After thought and poking around I have decided to optimise the egcs float
library code (fp-bit.c, floatlib.c) as that is what is used on my platform
(NetBSD/arm32), and ARM Linux can benefit from it using a the -msoft-float
compile-time flag. I know the Netwinder emulates the arm FPU to provide
floating point support, but I wouldn't be able to test any work I did on
the FP emulator since I don't run ARM Linux.

Any comments greatly appreciated - to the group, or mail me, your choice.
Thanks to all the people who have answered questions, provided code and so
on.

One more maths-related note - I have found a 3-instruction / bit assembler
integer square-root function by Wilco Dijkstra. If this would benefit the
Netwinder maths code then I'll post it to the group / whoever wants it.

Regards

Andrew
- ------

- ---
This message processed by the Netwinder.Org news2mail gateway.

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

End of devel-digest V2 #202
***************************

--
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel-digest" as the body of your message.