Subject: devel-digest V2 #185
From: [email-masked] (devel-digest)
To: [email-masked]

devel-digest           Tuesday, June 1 1999           Volume 02 : Number 185

In this issue:

    New Netwinder-NFS-Rescue
    Re: mp3 == crash
    Re: ncurses hangs

See the end of this digest for information about devel-digest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 07:14:27 +0000
From: Mike Montour <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Netwinder-NFS-Rescue

I have just placed a new version of the Netwinder-NFS-Rescue
package on my page, http://www.netwinder.org/~mmontour. Version
0.4 is a development release, and contains a 2.2.8 kernel and programs
+ libraries from the Build that Never Was (#14).  I hope to release a
bug-fixed version using programs from Build #15, when it is available.

This package contains a small root filesystem designed to be NFS-booted.

It includes utilites like fdisk, mke2fs/mkswap, dd, and tar. It also
allows you to export Netwinder partitions over NFS to another server.
This package can be used to repair a damaged filesystem, and is also
useful for installing a new disk-image tarball, or repartitioning your
hard drive. It is of particular interest to people with drives <=2Gb
(like me).

This release adds a Tcl/Tk-based configuration utility to assist in
setting up the DHCP, TFTP, and NFS services on the 'rescue server', and
also includes a program which can be used to download a kernel over the
serial port, using the low-level debugger in 2.0 Firmware (hopefully
nobody will need this feature, but it's there just in case).
Serial-console operation is also supported in this release.

Please try out this package (standard disclaimers apply), and let me
know
if you find any bugs or have any feature requests.

It is assumed that you are familiar with the new HOWTOs that RalphS has
placed at http://www.netwinder.org/projects.html.

          -Mike <[email-masked]>
- -----------
p.s. NNTP error, 437 binary in non-binary group... Trying to mail it to
the old address instead...  I've told Netscape to send it as text...
it's too
late to figure this out tonight...

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

Date: 31 May 1999 12:56:10 GMT
From: Brian Dozier <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: mp3 == crash

That's odd.  I'm using a (mostly) stock build 10 (hey, I haven't had it for very long and am 
not ready to start breaking things yet) and play music nearly all the time while I work.

Although I haven't had any crashes, the mxaudio app will "freeze" the display until I shift 
focus from one window to another whenever it changes songs (running from files only, no 
shoutcast...).  Other than that, I've encountered no problems...

Specs:

  Rev 5 hardware
  Build 10 software
  plus, Blackbox window manager (compiles w/o mods, cool)
        mxaudio/xaudio (v1.0d)

Although mxaudio just puts a GUI on xaudio, perhaps there is something different when using 
xaudio from the command line?  I'll have to try that...

- ---
This message processed by the Netwinder.Org news2mail gateway.

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 21:51:52 -0400
From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ncurses hangs

Steven Ng wrote:
> I built and installed ncurses from the GNU site ncurses-4.2.tar.gz.
> Non-blocking calls to getch work fine.  Besides the problem I
> encountered, what are the differences between the ncurses-4.2 and the
> ncurses-devel-4.2-6.armv4?  What significant changes need to be made to
> ncurses-4.2 for the NW?

This is a new one :( 

If the version doesn't have a "nw" in it, then it is very likely it was
built from a standard Red Hat SRPM.  Find the SRPM and check the spec
file to see what patches were applied to the GNU code by Red Hat.

- --
Andrew E. Mileski - Software Engineer [OS Team Leader]
Rebel.com  http://www.rebel.com/

- ---
This message processed by the Netwinder.Org news2mail gateway.

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

End of devel-digest V2 #185
***************************

--
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel-digest" as the body of your message.