Subject: devel-digest V2 #215
From: [email-masked] (devel-digest)
To: [email-masked]

devel-digest          Wednesday, July 7 1999          Volume 02 : Number 215

In this issue:

    Re: building KDE 1.1.1 - problems finding library during kdebase  configure

See the end of this digest for information about devel-digest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:57:51 -0700
From: Tim Rowledge <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: building KDE 1.1.1 - problems finding library during kdebase  configure

Ralph Siemsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>I've tried to reproduce your situation, but am getting different
>results.  I've got a clean-installed version of build #12, since that is
>most likely what you are using.  I grabbed the latest KDE i could find,
>albeit in RPM format and not in tarball form.  This was kde-1.1.1 from
>ftp.kde.org, and qt-1.44-6.
Sounds the same as my situation: I completely wiped and reinstalled dm12,
hoping it might fix the 100BaseT ethernet problems I've been posting about. (It
didn't.)  Igrabbed the qt & kde sources from ftp.kde.org as well.

 >QT compiled without a hitch, as did kdelibs (well, lots of warnings,
but >it builds).  There are no patches applied by the RPM so it should be the
>same results as you get, building from tarballs, with the possible
>exception of the compiler arguments (optimization, etc).  
Having been told by Jon Olson that it worked ok for him, I followed his advice
on adding the -fno-exception -no-rtti -fomit-frame-pointer flags.  Like you, I
had no problems with qtlib compiling; indeed all the examples I tried out ran
prefectly ok.

>I couldn't get
>kdesupport to build, but kdebase succeeds in the configure state, though
>it causes a fatal compiler error later on, about 35 minutes into the
>build.
Wild - for me, kdesupport and kdelib built with no apparent problems!

>So, I'm obviously seeing different problems than you are.  Can you give
>more details on how you are building, ie. which disk image, what have
>you modified/updated, and which kde sources are you using.  Otherwise
>it's rather difficult to determine what is going wrong...
the dm12 image is *absolutely* as installed. The *only* stuff I have put on
the machine is the kde/qt sources.

>Based on your last post, this definately seems to be the problem.  So
>either the compiler is failing to link in qt (thought the command line
>seems to include it), or the qt library really doesn't define those
>symbols (check it using the 'nm' command)... 
A colleague here has suggested that  the error lines I posted look like
runtime type inferencing stuff, which might explain a bunch of things; after
all, Jon's advice was to use -fno-rtti, which looks suspiciously like
no-runtimetypeinferencing !

Another faint possibility is that weare using different compilers to Jon - his
emails on thesubject make it sound like he has egcs, whereas the vanilla dm12 I
am using  has g++ v2.8.1

 Whimper.

tim

- ---
This message processed by the Netwinder.Org news2mail gateway.

- --
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel" as the body of your message.

------------------------------

End of devel-digest V2 #215
***************************

--
This list is run automagically by Majordomo 1.94.4
Please send email questions to [email-masked]
To UNSUBSCRIBE: email [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe devel-digest" as the body of your message.